Sunday, August 22, 2010

Huh?!?!

Did you ever try someone is telling you a statement and you don't really know what actually is that person telling you? And this make you feel like to say huh?!
We called this statement as a vague statement.
A vague statement means unclear and you don't understand what ideas the speaker intended to convey.
There are 3 factors that will causes a statement to be vague.
Below is three example of vague statement.




















20/8/2010-Uncertainty about what standards are being used as a basis of comparison.
Today i had my lunch with my friend at Spaghetti Grill Restaurant. I order a pepperoni pizza.
I told my fren.
Me: This pizza is delicious!!
I found that I had make a mistake that I told my friend that the pizza is delicious because it is a vague statement.
I made a vague statement because of uncertainty about standards.
The pizza is delicious at what?
Maybe my friend doesnt think the pizza is delicious.



















22/8/2010-confusion over context
Today i drove through jalan ipoh and i found a vague statement which is a sign board.
When i saw this sign board , i straight using this "lorong bas". It is because today is Sunday, i can
use this "lorong bas".
After that, i had a thinking. This sign board shown that "lorong bas" is from 6am-8pm except sunday and public holidays.
Does this sign board means sunday and public holidays is not from 6am-8pm so today is Sunday so we can use this "lorong" or
sunday and public holidays whole day is "lorong bas" so as
today is sunday, we cannot use this "lorong" .














22/08/2010-impercise choice of words
In the evening, I had my dinner with my family and i saw a notice in front of toilet.
When i saw this notice i felt like to say HUH?!
This notice is vague as it is a imprecise choice of words.
Not everyone know the meaning of "kecil" and "besar.

No comments:

Post a Comment